Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

Largest VPS Forum

Forgot password?
 Free Register
12Next
Return to list New
View: 520|Reply: 13

Who controls the domain pricing?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-27 21:37 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, this is my first post.

I was wondering who is it that controls the prices for example .com?

The prices continue to go up!

Any thoughts?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-27 21:43 | Show all posts
Usually, it'd be the ICANN that controls all of the renewal fees and such. My go-to now is to just use CloudFlare as my registrar as they have pretty good rates. I'm paying 8.03USD/yr for my .com domains.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-27 21:48 | Show all posts
ICANN typically controls the base wholesale price for .com domain names. We have had quite a few clients make note of the recent increase but honestly it's a relatively small jump and, inflation is soaring in other sectors around the world, so i'm not surprised they have gone up.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-27 21:54 | Show all posts
ICANN > Registry > Registrar > Reseller

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-27 21:57 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by domaincart                                                                                                        ICANN > Registry > Registrar > Reseller                                                Any increase on one of these components is going to be reflected at the end customer pricing.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-27 22:01 | Show all posts
ICANN does NOT control the price of domains. For SOME they may be involved in the approval of an increase in the price of a specific TLD e.g. the recent changes to the .com agreement.  On the whole, the wholesale price of domains is set and managed by their respective Registries.

For example

.com, that's Verisign
.org it's Public Interest Registry
.biz it's Neustar which is now owned by GoDaddy
*.co.uk it's Nominet

etc. etc.

The Registries then offer domains at wholesale to (ICANN accredited) Registrar such as GoDaddy, Namecheap, Name.copm etc. They in turn mark up the domains in line with their business needs.

If you're buying further down the line, via a reseller of an accredited Registrar, then you will most likely pay more.

Every domain sale also includes a small fee that a Regisitry and Registrar must pass on to ICANN.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-27 22:09 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by gianniponzi                                                                                                        The Registries then offer domains at wholesale to (ICANN accredited) Registrar such as GoDaddy, Namecheap, Name.copm etc. They in turn mark up the domains in line with their business needs.                                                Registrars only need ICANN accreditation to sell a very limited number of gTLDs, e.g. .com and .net. You do not need any such registration to become a registrar to sell, for instance, Nominet's offerings nor the offerings of most ccTLD registries. Each registry appoints registrars according to its own rules.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-27 22:13 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by dominame                                                                                                        Registrars only need ICANN accreditation to sell a very limited number of gTLDs, e.g. .com and .net. You do not need any such registration to become a registrar to sell, for instance, Nominet's offerings nor the offerings of most ccTLD registries. Each registry appoints registrars according to its own rules.                                                and the other 1500 new gTLDs :-)

I believe the question was who controls the price. Hence my reply.
Re: ccTLDS, no you do no need to be ICANN accredited. And they of course set the price + you generally one has to pay a deposit to become accredited directly with them.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-27 22:15 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by gianniponzi                                                                                                        ICANN does NOT control the price of domains. For SOME they may be involved in the approval of an increase in the price of a specific TLD e.g. the recent changes to the .com agreement.  On the whole, the wholesale price of domains is set and managed by their respective Registries.

For example

.com, that's Verisign
.org it's Public Interest Registry
.biz it's Neustar which is now owned by GoDaddy
*.co.uk it's Nominet

etc. etc.                                                So what about if I want a .name.of.my.company
How dose that work?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-27 22:18 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by cheap stock                                                                                                        So what about if I want a .name.of.my.company
How dose that work?                                                You can wait for the next round of new gTLD applications and open up your chequebook  :-D $$$$$

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Free Register

Points Rules

Archiver|mobile|showdarkroom|World's Largest VPS Forum

2022-10-2 17:48 GMT-5 , Processed in 0.103499 second(s), 17 queries .