Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

Largest VPS Forum

Forgot password?
 Free Register
12Next
Return to list New
View: 455|Reply: 14

Webhost won't release domains

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 01:45 | Show all posts |Read mode
I signed up for an account at GreenGeeks 3 months ago beca utilize they promised unlimited domains and unlimited webspace. Of course I know there are limitations to 'unlimited' but I didn't expect to get an inode warning during transfer of my fifth domain. They have NO information what consequently ever on this limitation on their sales page consequently I contacted support and they simply told me there was unique one thing left to do - upgrade of course!

I decided to find another hosting company but 2 days later I got a mail saying they had closed my account. Before that I did get an auth code for one of my domains but they blocked the transfer even though the domain status was OK and thus free to move. Trying to get auth codes for the 4 remaining domains was futile. They simply blocked the chat and closed all tickets. No communication. They hi-jacked my domains.

Now I am trying to find out what I can do. Have you tried consequentlymething similar or do you have any idea what to do?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 01:52 | Show all posts
Were the domains part of the deal for the hosting, like "get a free domain with..."?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 01:56 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by RigPa                                                                                                        They have NO information what so ever on this limitation on their sales page [...]                                                That is most likely in their terms of service or acceptable usage policy as other location is where most hosts will put such limits.

I second @bear's question of if the domains were part of some deal and that is why it was blocked.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2021-12-28 01:58 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by bear                                                                                                        Were the domains part of the deal for the hosting, like "get a free domain with..."?                                                No free domains - I transferred 5 domains I have had for years.

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2021-12-28 02:06 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by steven99                                                                                                        That is most likely in their terms of service or acceptable usage policy as other location is where most hosts will put such limits.

I second @bear's question of if the domains were part of some deal and that is why it was blocked.                                                It actually is not in their terms. Read them letter by letter. When I had the chat convo the supporter posted a completely new link to another set of terms which are not available from the sales pages, frontpage or from the control panel. I checked the entire routine afterwards to make sure I didn't miss something first time I signed up. Have a friend who signed up a week before me. He felt fooled too and closed his account with the words: "Fraudulent marketing - need to puke". He wasn't able to find the hidden terms either.

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Intermediate member

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 02:08 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by RigPa                                                                                                        No free domains - I transferred 5 domains I have had for years.                                                If they do not reply or release it, contact ICANN: https://icannportal.force.com/compliance/s/transfer

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 02:11 | Show all posts
Rather than going to ICANN first, I'd go to the registrar they use and complain there. It's that registrar that will be most likely to be able to assist, as long as your info is on the registrations and you can prove ownership over time. If *that* fails, then I'd go to ICANN (who often move very, very slowly...).

What prompted you to move the domain registrations to this company rather than just pointing to their nameservers?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 02:20 | Show all posts
A client uses greengeeks' $5 unlimited plan and I've found support is excellent and fast, with Wordpress performance better than what I've experienced on other low cost hosts. Inode warning is out of space, and hosts solution was to upgrade. Greengeeks offers 3 year plans ($5 x 36= $180) with a 30 day refund policy.  If the OP cancelled after 3 months, I'd expect he try to get his money back. Did you do a charge-back? If so, the host could be holding the domains as leverage.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 02:22 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by Techno                                                                                                        A client uses greengeeks' $5 unlimited plan and I've found support is excellent and fast, with Wordpress performance better than what I've experienced on other low cost hosts. Inode warning is out of space, and hosts solution was to upgrade. Greengeeks offers 3 year plans ($5 x 36= $180) with a 30 day refund policy.  If the OP cancelled after 3 months, I'd expect he try to get his money back. Did you do a charge-back? If so, the host could be holding the domains as leverage.                                                My client is actually on their $2.50 plan (1 domain plus 'unlimited' add-on domains).

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 02:26 | Show all posts
Never make your web host and your domain registrar be the same company. You are giving that company too much leverage.

BN

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Free Register

Points Rules

Archiver|mobile|showdarkroom|World's Largest VPS Forum

2022-10-2 18:13 GMT-5 , Processed in 0.101394 second(s), 17 queries .