Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

Largest VPS Forum

Forgot password?
 Free Register
12Next
Return to list New
View: 598|Reply: 16

Changing host/reseller without changing registrar

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 02:50 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi there

Rather curious about the (to me) newish trend of resellers/hosting companies expecting you to convert registrar.
If you have been with a registrar for a long time and simply want to switch hosting company/admin why is that pushed so much, and when you try to raise the issue with registrars they say they can't talk about it. You need to talk to the resellers

D

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Intermediate member

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 02:54 | Show all posts
Not sure I understand you but you can definitely move or change your host without changing your domain registrar.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 03:00 | Show all posts
Probably just trying to get a little more of your money?
Most will explain it as "it's simpler that way, that we control it all", but that's a minor inconvenience, usually a matter of just changing nameservers. Don't fall for it.
Maybe say to them "oh, I need to keep them together? I'll host with the registrar then, thanks!".

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2021-12-28 03:03 | Show all posts
Ok thanks

So I can ask a new hosting company just to host the domain and change the administration to them without changing registrar

I find it inconvenient that some registrars will only deal with resellers and not with the registrants

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 03:05 | Show all posts
You don't need to change anything on the domain except the nameservers. It's all that's needed to host it. If they insist on having themselves added into the whois, I'd consider finding a new one.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 03:08 | Show all posts
If you are using private nameservers you just need to update private nameservers (Child Nameservers) IPes with your new hosting provider IPes.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2021-12-28 03:14 | Show all posts
The way the system is setup here in .com.au is that the resellers seem to control the whois with the assistance of the registrars. You can't even talk to the registrars to ask them to give you admin contact

Being a domain registrant doesn't give you much power at all.

I'm rather sick of having to get resellers to do stuff for me.

It works fine with a good trusted reseller but if you need to keep changing or chasing issues up it becomes time consuming and disruptive

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 03:17 | Show all posts
It shouldn't be difficult at all, but if it is then either the domain registrar or hosting provider make things difficult on purpose to lock in customers with them.

It should just be a matter of updating the nameservers at the domain registrar to new nameservers provided to you by the new hosting provider. Or can simply update the WWW A record by replacing the server IP address you want the domain to point to. If using Cloudflare, again, you can simply update the WWW A record.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 03:24 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by AltusWebsites                                                                                                        most of our users are not tech-savvy and don't know a lot about domains or hosting                                                Pretty much none of mine are, with just a few exceptions. To say they will mess it up and that's why you tell them to move is silly when the change is so simple. Not at all hard to tell them "find the DNS record on your domain where you have your name and look for nameservers, which are currently *the assigned ns at their old host*. Change that to the following: *new nameservers*.
If they get stuck, find the info for that registrar and walk them through it.
You basically saying they're too dumb to do so seems to be an excuse to move them to your service and pay you instead of the one they're with. It at least feels that way.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-12-28 03:29 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by AltusWebsites                                                                                                        our company deals almost exclusively with people and small businesses that aren't proficient at setting up domains and hosting.                                                Mine too, and we help them with changes if they ask to keep domains where they are. That's part of customer service and we're happy doing it. Is it easier for us? Of course not. Does the client feel like they've accomplished something they didn't know how to do before? Absolutely, and things like that have helped get us recommended to their friends and business connections.
                                                                                                        if you require help then it will likely be easier (and cheaper) to move your domain to our service.                                                Easier for you, but cheaper in what way? Do you charge for dealing with nameservers if not registered with you, or do you undersell the company they're leaving no matter what they're paying? Not sure I follow.
                                                                                                        I am not saying that my users are dumb, they just have better things to worry about than how to update their domains.                                                Read that way to me. My mistake?
"most of our users are not tech-savvy and don't know a lot about domains or hosting"

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Free Register

Points Rules

Archiver|mobile|showdarkroom|World's Largest VPS Forum

2022-10-2 17:14 GMT-5 , Processed in 0.122726 second(s), 18 queries .