Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

Largest VPS Forum

Forgot password?
 Free Register
View: 358|Reply: 8

Who is owner of a Domain

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-10 09:06 From the mobile phone | Show all posts |Read mode
As you know following domains are registered on a domain:

1- Registrant Company Name
2- Registrant Name

In disputes between parties;

If both is different consequently company is owned by another perconsequentlyn than registrant name, company owner can get domain from registrant? What do you do if company owner ask it to be transferred to him?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-9 16:06 | Show all posts
The registrant company is not required unless it's registered for a company and marked/defined that way.
As a provider, I won't get in the middle of one of these. Only the named registrant can request changes, not the business he represented. I personally believe it's still the named individual that has ownership and control, but in cases where they left the company or died, the company is likely to gain control through arbitration.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2022-2-10 03:06 | Show all posts
I think the domain name should be specified in the inventory list in the company transfer, is not he?

Also if payment made by company owner and registrant company is specified, can he ask to get domain from registrar? I had this situation before and the lawyer could not find a solution. I fixed this problem by reconciled the parties. But every provider may experience similar issues.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-10 04:06 | Show all posts
It's not up to me to arbitrate such things. I just provide a registration through a registrar. If the company has a dispute with eh employee/representative whose name is on the registration, they need to settle that externally. Until told otherwise (by the named registrant or a higher authority such as the registrar or ICANN), the name in the registrant field is the owner.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-10 05:06 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by bear                                                                                                        I personally believe it's still the named individual that has ownership and control, but in cases where they left the company or died, the company is likely to gain control through arbitration.                                                Gee, do you know why the company gains control? Because almost all employment contracts mention it that anything acquired or created by employee on behalf of the company during discharge of their service belongs to the company. So a domain name acquired by an employee for the company belongs to the company irrespective of who is listed as the registrant.

In a lot of cases the name of the domain is a registered trademark of the company as well - so good luck trying to steal it away from the company.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-10 15:06 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by the_kautilya                                                                                                        Gee, do you know why the company gains control? Because almost all employment contracts mention it that anything acquired or created by employee on behalf of the company during discharge of their service belongs to the company.                                                Arbitration, as mentioned. If the company had such a provision when this was registered, they can force the named registrant to hand it over or change details and so on. It's not up to me to decide.

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-10 06:06 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by bear                                                                                                        Arbitration, as mentioned. If the company had such a provision when this was registered, they can force the named registrant to hand it over or change details and so on. It's not up to me to decide.                                                 Employment contracts vary. I didn't generalise & say all of them have such language in them. The ones I've seen over the course of my 17+ year professional career had mentioned such ownership.

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-10 09:06 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by the_kautilya                                                                                                        Gee, do you know why the company gains control? Because almost all employment contracts mention it that anything acquired or created by employee on behalf of the company during discharge of their service belongs to the company. So a domain name acquired by an employee for the company belongs to the company irrespective of who is listed as the registrant.

In a lot of cases the name of the domain is a registered trademark of the company as well - so good luck trying to steal it away from the company.                                                Agree with that 100%

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-10 22:06 | Show all posts
I usually list the client company as the Registrant and myself as the Administrative, Technical, and Billing contact.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Free Register

Points Rules

Archiver|mobile|showdarkroom|World's Largest VPS Forum

2022-10-2 18:42 GMT-5 , Processed in 0.098473 second(s), 17 queries .