Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

Largest VPS Forum

Forgot password?
 Free Register
View: 313|Reply: 6

three questions

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-17 08:40 | Show all posts |Read mode
Before I search for a VPS (virtual private server) host, I would like consequentlyme basic answers.

During Signup, Configure Server requires this: Hostname  aaa.ddd.com  servername.yourdomain.con  Root Password.
And consequentlymetimes I am required to choose a Domain. I do not want a www domain for this. What data should I enter?

I want to operate the VPS using GUI (graphical  utilizer interface) from any terminal without installing special consequentlyftware. I think this is automatically done with browser? I am not familiar with remote connection protocols. Do I need to be?

The hosting company does list consequentlyme available OS (operating system). Do I need to fret if the OS will work on the hardware? One host offers 128MB Ram and debian 8x86_64 (Jessie). How can they do this? My research finds this ram will run debian without a Deskpeak environment. Or am I mistaken, and I will consequentlymehow get the full GUI version?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-16 15:40 | Show all posts
Originally Posted by b1bb2                                                                                                        Before I search for a VPS (virtual private server) host, I would like some basic answers.                                                                                                                                                                                                Originally Posted by b1bb2                                                                                                        During Signup, Configure Server requires this: Hostname  aaa.ddd.com  servername.yourdomain.con  Root Password.
And sometimes I am required to choose a Domain. I do not want a www domain for this. What data should I enter?                                                The provider wants to create a hostname for your VPS so in order to do that, you need a domain name.

Your hostname might be, for example, saturn.webhostingtalk.com if you owned the webhostingtalk.com domain name.

You'd register an A record for saturn.webhostingtalk.com so you can access your server using your web browser, once a control panel has been installed.

Originally Posted by b1bb2                                                                                                        I want to operate the VPS using GUI (graphical user interface) from any terminal without installing special software. I think this is automatically done with browser? I am not familiar with remote connection protocols. Do I need to be?                                                You can install a GUI using SSH, assuming you're installing Linux.

It sounds like you might just need help with the initial setup, securing and config.

Originally Posted by b1bb2                                                                                                        The hosting company does list some available OS (operating system). Do I need to worry if the OS will work on the hardware? One host offers 128MB Ram and debian 8x86_64 (Jessie). How can they do this? My research finds this ram will run debian without a Desktop environment. Or am I mistaken, and I will somehow get the full GUI version?                                                Best to check with the provider why they offer a specific distro with a VPS.

You'll have a plethora of operating systems to choose from when you deploy your VPS.

Hope that helps!

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2022-2-17 02:40 | Show all posts
Yes thank you, that helps. I have re-worded my questions. Can we give this another try?
A record means IP Address?
The VPS I want will be a browser and workstation like these: onworks.net,  distrotest.net/index.php. It will not be a place for public to visit.
chicagovps.net/ asks for Hostname (servername.hostname.com), it never mentions domain name and does not give a chance to register one. Can I make up a Hostname? What does servername.hostname.com mean?
In contrast, a2hosting.com says on the first step: To get started with your website hosting plan we need to know if you need a domain or if you already have one.
It sounds like these two hosts are vastly diffrent.
My problem is not to install a GUI. I already have one on my PC. And the one on VPS will be on the newley installed OS. My question is: how to control the GUI that is on the VPS?
Yes, I use linux for everything.
godaddy.com says this: 1 GB RAM is not sufficient to run a control panel.
I got this error message in this forum: You need five posts before being able to use any of this board's vB code features. Including smilies and linking to URLs. So I deleted the  w. h  t  s :  /.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-17 03:40 | Show all posts
While a "A Record" does not "mean" an IP address, you generally put an IP for the record.

Some providers try to upsell other products (like domain registration) while you buy a VPS from them. It does not matter though as you can add domains later.

Look for a control panel like cPanel, DirectAdmin, etc. so that you have a GUI to add domains, email accounts, and other items. While cPanel is expensive there are other less expensive options too like Webmin, CWP Pro, etc.

You should be looking for at least 4GB of RAM to begin with. RAM is relatively expensive in 2022. I have 128 GB of RAM on my personal desktop and sometimes I feel it's less. The OS would be struggling for memory allocation with 1 GB of RAM.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-16 15:40 | Show all posts
Strictly speaking, a hostname can be anything you want (within limits, e.g. no spaces or punctuation), like "myserver" and you can connect to it by IP address, like http://192.0.2.0. The problem is, it's a pain to have to remember the IP address (especially IPv6!), and you can't use secure SSL connections (using https). Also email from there won't be accepted by most spam filters.

Therefore, most VPS hosts now insist on a "fully qualified domain name" (FQDN) which would typically be a subdomain of a domain you own, like "myserver.mydomain.com". You buy the "mydomain.com" bit and make up the "myserver" bit.

If you already own a domain, you can create valid subdomains for free simply by adding certain DNS records to your nameserver. Setting up DNS records properly is a big subject and you don't want to get them wrong, so ask an expert or do some research.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-17 01:40 | Show all posts
Most VPSes don't have a GUI installed, and typically they don't need one, in this instance GUI means the native GUI the OS provides if it were a desktop system, which is based on X11/Xorg, wayland, etc. To run the native X11 GUI effectively you'll need to get as much RAM as possible.

If you're talking about a web-based control panel that's not a desktop GUI, that's a web-based control panel interface.

Webmin can usually run on VPS with about 1-2GB of RAM. You'll need to add more RAM and other resources if you want to run most other panels at a reasonably good level of performance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2022-2-16 16:40 | Show all posts
To: LinuxFox.
OK. If I ever want to add domains, email accounts, and other items, I will Look for a control panel.
Sorry, 4GB of RAM on a rented VPS is over my budget. Maybe later.

To: Phil McKerracher.
That is good to know. But I do not need a domain name for my planned use.

To: ancient_admin
And that is a good lead-in to my next thread about OS: What OS to use?
Sorry, this forum will not allow be to post full link,

I have learned what I need to know here and am moving on.
This thread may be considered solved. Thank you.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Free Register

Points Rules

Archiver|mobile|showdarkroom|World's Largest VPS Forum

2022-10-2 18:36 GMT-5 , Processed in 0.103719 second(s), 17 queries .